– Leaders of the future must look forward differently and think with a different level of expansiveness, involvement and opportunity building, says Terje Hauan, the new chairman in Mantle™.
Terje’s twenty-something-years, broad experience from Norway’s armed forces, business development within different sectors and co-founding several tech companies, may give him exactly the kind of insight, perception and vision a leader of today´s industry needs.
– Easy availability of information used to be an enormous cost for businesses. Today, the real questions are: What does the data say? What does it mean? And how do we use it, all while companies are changing faster than ever before? The business has to adapt.
What boards have to do is step up to a different kind of leadership, anticipate what will create value, how that impacts the organisation, and evaluate if the right direction is in place to make those pivotal operating decisions on a day-to-day basis.
Leaders of the future must look forward differently and think with a different level of expansiveness, involvement and opportunity building, Terje states.
Where some leaders chase the most stage time in board meetings, Terje places his squash bag under his chair, listens and becomes a catalyst with limited time in the spotlight.
– I see my role on a board primarily as a useful catalyst, where my airtime should be limited to 5 – 10 %. My role is primarily ensuring that all board members and the administration are using their unique skills for the good of the organisation.
First and foremost, I am a resource, providing my external perspective to the business!
– Terje Hauan, Chairman Mantle
– I have been through the startup stage, the growth stage, as well as successful exits. Lastly, I also want to say it is also vital that I have failed a few times, which is an underestimated area of expertise!
The Chairman of Mantle™
After being introduced to Mantle early in 2020 Terje has followed us closely, so when he was asked to join our board he says the answer was easy.
– I was impressed by the team and the achievements, and when asked to join the company board it was a straightforward decision.
I think the company has built an excellent foundation for future success! And I see my role is to work closely with the team to make sure the company reaches its goals for the future, Terje says.